France’s aircraft carrier the Charles de Gaulle will be deployed to battle ISIS in the wake of Thursday night’s horror in Nice.
Hours after the deadly attack – which saw a crazed driver plough through crowds, killing 84 people – President Francois Hollande reaffirmed his commitment to fight terrorism abroad.
In his speech, he referred to announcements given the previous day which included the redeployment of the massive warship.
He said: “Nothing will lead us to give in to our will to fight against terrorism. We are going to strengthen our efforts in Syria and Iraq against those who are attacking us on our very soil.”
The ship – the largest currently commissioned in Western Europe – will return to the Mediterranean Sea in autumn.
Hollande had declared: “The battle group, which includes the Charles de Gaulle, will again be redeployed to Operation Chammal… because we have to strike back at those who attacked us here in January and November 2015.”
In his announcement following the Nice attack, he pledged to hold firm against the terrorist threat.
“France as a whole is under the threat of Islamist terrorism. We have to demonstrate absolute vigilance and show determination that is unfailing.”
He also pledged 10,000 troops to help police shore up domestic security, and asked for military ‘volunteers’ to help national cops.
The incident came just hours after he had declared he was preparing to take France out of a state of emergency. That state of emergency, imposed after the Paris attacks last November and due to end on July 26, has now been extended by a further three months.
Hollande, who was previously in Avignon, immediately spoke with French Prime Minister Manuel Valls as the crisis unfolded.
It is one of the worst attacks in Nice’s history with video showing the massacre unfolding as a white lorry drove through crowds celebrating Bastille Day.
The introduction of the inter-ministerial crisis talks comes just hours after Hollande signalled he was prepared to take the country out of its nine months as a state of emergency after the November 13 attack on Paris.
The attack, which left 130 people dead, saw France extend the terror threat three times to ensure the safety of the country, particularly during the Euro2016 tournament.
The President said: “We had to prolong the state of emergency until we could be sure that the law gives us the means to counter the terrorist threat effectively.